Welcome to the Family Survival Guide to
The purpose of this site is to help families of the mentally ill navigate an incredibly complex, broken system. I am the mom of a 31yr old, currently incarcerated, schizophrenic. I have spent the past seven years clawing my way, by trial and error, through the system. My prayer is that my experience may ease yours. This site is currently under construction so bear with me, a computer wizard I ain’t!
Below is a list of issues and topics I will be explaining in depth.
Peace, Protection, Hope & Happiness,
How a diagnosis is determined
- Finding a Dr with or without insurance
- Where to find social services
- How to get a social worker
- Social Security SSI vs. SSD
- What is a consumer?
Every Day Living
- Dual Diagnosis (addiction)
- Non Compliant vs Compliant
- Interaction vs Enabling
- Friends and Family
- When and how to use 911
- Special Needs Trust
- Advanced Directive/Living Will
- Guardianship VS Power of Attorney
- Minor’s Rights
- Adult Right’s
Sen. Patrick Kennedy
Got a question relating to Mental Illness? Email me email@example.com